So I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I totally use the holiday season as an excuse to buy things for myself. Wooops. Secret is out. But I can’t be the only one! In the past, I’ve shared basic/classic items that all new attorneys and law students would like–and those are all still solid choices. But, this year I thought I’d share some of the items that I have been constantly using and that translate into easy gifts for either new attorneys or law students:
- Statement earrings. I really love statement earrings at the moment. They aren’t too distracting–like some of my noisy statement necklaces, but add so much to an outfit. I especially like the bauble earrings (and anything cobalt) and reach for this whenever I’m wearing all black.
- Casual suit jackets. I live for my H&M relaxed fit suit jacket. I know my situation is unique because my place is super casual so for firms this may not work, but maybe for evening events? I wear the jackets for presentations or networking events rather than day to day. I just like that it’s not as stuffy as a suit jacket but gives polish to an outfit–plus it goes great with jeans, which is basically the legal aid uniform!
- Wall art. I’ve very slowly put together an wall gallery in my office that I love. Each piece is really important to me, and this year I added an amazing print that I picked up in L.A. It literally calls everyone’s attention when they walk into my space. If your friend (totally you) needs some art for their space, I can’t recommend the prints from PearMama enough. They are gorgeous!
- Office supplies. If art isn’t your style, then totally consider some unique office supplies. I love my gold scissors (surprising how often you need scissors as an attorney!) and they are an easy gift to give a new attorney. You can’t go wrong with cute office supplies!
- Cute lunch tote. I am on the struggle bus in taking my lunch (I used to be so much better!) but having a cute lunch tote definitely guilts me into taking my lunch more often. I love my watermelon bag from Old Navy (of all places). I like that is structured, as opposed to the looser lunch bags.
- Hair products. Ok, I get that these aren’t gifts you’d give your random secret santa, but entre amigas, these are totally options! I find that my hair gets a lot more heat damage than when I was a student so now I try to use products to keep it as moisturized and healthy as possible. I love Shea Moisture’s light (super light) hairspray (plus love the rose smell). I use it when I’ve curled or waved my hair and it helps keep a light hold, without piling my hair with product. But any product that helps with heat or texture is a winner!
- Eye care. It’s no secret that our lives are stressful and, sadly, our eyes often show those signs first. I use different eye creams depending on what I feel my skin needs, but my eye cream holy grail is the Estee Lauder’s night serum. I mean, I hope your friend isn’t offended if you give them skincare (I would be thrilled!) but ppl are sensitive so tread carefully here lol
- Good nails. There’s just something about nicely manicured hands! Of course, if you can’t swing getting it done professionally (because hello $$$) then the key for a manicure that lasts is a great top coat. I love the essie gel top coat, it makes my polish last FOREVER. This, plus one or two cute colors is a perfect little gift.
- The best lips. By far, my best discovery in 2017 was Vive Cosmetics lippies. Another amazing LA find. They launched this past spring, are Latina-owned, have cute colors, and do.not.smudge. at all. Have you tried them? I bought some as a gift, but totally bought more for myself. They’re just too good!